Peanut butter and berries together in a pie is the best! This gluten free, vegan, Peanut Butter and Berry pie tastes like a PB and J sandwich but even better! It is oil-free and refined sugar free making is a healthy dessert that the entire family will love.
Wowy, why are all the recipe creators not making peanut butter and jelly pies right now!
I am a sucker for all things peanut butter.
Pies are somewhat of a mystery to me, well the typical wheat flour and butter/oil crust ones filled with horribly artificial and sweet fruit like stuff. I have no desire to make and eat anything like that.
Especially when combined with naturally sweet berries to make a gluten free, vegan, peanut butter and berry pie that tastes even better than any PB & J sandwich.
I want to eat pies that taste really freaking good but are oil free, vegan and made with whole food ingredients which can easily be made gluten free by using my favorite four, oat flour.
This week has been really hectic for me because all the family has been visiting and they all want me to create things for them to eat.
My dad is a pie critic and makes my life difficult when I make pies. He has always got something to say. The first time I made this recipe I made it with a different crust, no good. The second time I got the peanut butter crust down, but the pie filling was still just a little too, berries.
The final time I added some peanut butter to the filling and DING, it was perfect.
I love this pie, like love it. The recipe looks long and complicated but it is actually so simple and easy.
This is a pie that you can feel good about eating, it is healthy and has ingredients that will leave you nourished.
Lets talk Ingredients quickly.
Frozen Berries – I used frozen Marrion Berries because they looked great, but Black berries will work well too. I don’t know if other mixed berries will taste quite as good but if you cannot find these two berries just try whatever you can find.
The Crust is made of simple ingredients, and the peanut butter and flax egg bind it together creating a perfectly crispy top yet soft and peanut buttery like bottom crust. Perfect.
The berry filling does not need to cook for long at all. Once you have everything mixed in, simply simmer it for about 5 minutes and it will thicken up enough.
Cooking it will further thicken it, and then after baking it cooling it will thicken it more.
If you make this recipe, it would really help if you left it a star rating. Because I am a new blogger I need all the help I can get with comments, shares and ratings. Thank you in advanced and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Take photos of your creation and tag me in it @LemonsandLeggings !Print
This gluten free, vegan, Peanut Butter and Berry Pie tastes like a PB and J sandwich but even better! It is oil-free and refined sugar free making is a healthy dessert that the entire family will love.
For the Pie Filling:
- 2.5lbs/ 1.13kg frozen Marrion berries or Blackberries
- 3 tablespoons Starch of choice (corn, tapioca, etc)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1/3 cup Peanut Butter
- optional 1/4 cup chopped Dates if you want a sweeter pie
For the Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups (180g) Oat Flour (I like freshly made by blending 1 1/2 cups oats)
- 1/2 cup (85g) Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup (90g) Maple Syrup
- 2 Flax Eggs (3 tablespoons ground Flaxseeds + 1/2 cup +1 tablespoon water mixed and let stand 10 minutes)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Peanuts, chopped or crushed for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Thaw frozen berries by placing in a medium sauce pan while you make the crust
For the Crust –
- Mix crust ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a fork or wooden spoon until a nice sticky ball of delicious nutty dough is formed. (You may need to add either a dash of water if the dough is too dry, or a dash of oat flour if it is too wet)
- Separate the dough so you have 1/3 for the topping and reserve 2/3rds for the base.
- Roll the bigger amount of dough (2/3rds) into a ball in your hands.
- Roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper to make a round, flat pie base
- Lightly spray a 9.5 inch (24cm) pie pan with cooking spray.
- Flip the curst into the pie pan using one piece of the paper (see video for clarity).
- Press dough into the pan with your fingers, pinching off excess dough that falls over the edge of the pan.
Create the Topping Crust:
- Roll out the smaller ball of dough between parchment paper making a long rectangular shape about 10 inches long by 5-6 inches wide (see video and photos for clarity)
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into long 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch strips
- Cover with plastic wrap to keep moist while you make the filling.
Make the Filling:
- Heat berries on stovetop over medium high heat until hot and bubbles begin to form
- Stir in starch of choice, ground flaxseeds, peanut butter and dates if using them
- Simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent burning to the bottom of the pan
- Remove from heat and pour filling into the pie crust (reserving 2 tablespoons for topping)
- Arrange the dough strips over the top of the pie in any design you wish
- Pinch off edges of dough that hang over the edge of the pan
- Top by sprinkling chopped peanuts and drizzling 2 tablespoons berries filling and some peanut butter
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before eating
Recipe can be made with Almond Butter or any nut butter of choice in the place of peanut butter.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/12th)
- Calories: 365
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Peanut butter, jelly, gluten free, vegan, pie, pb and j, berry, peanut butter and berry pie, healthy, oil free, healthy, quick, plant based, berry pie, whole food plant based