I had to make a healthy, gluten free, oil free and vegan recipe for Valentines day and I choose these delicious Strawberry Coconut Baked Donuts!
I think that baked donuts are the best, they are basically little pieces of cake or heaven.
These baked donuts are made without frying in them in oil, which makes them even better because I don’t feel nauseous after eating one.
You will be blown away when you taste the delicious texture that this gluten free batter tastes!
Sweetened with only maple syrup and strawberries, these donuts have just the perfect hint of sweetness- also healthiness.
One of my favorite things about these vegan baked donuts is I have tried them out so many different ways now, and they are actually pretty hard to mess up.
You will make a flax egg, and combined with the strawberry and non dairy milk. You have all the moisture and binding power that you need for these soft baked donuts.
Oat flour for the majority of the flour, but if you wish to use all gluten free flour blend, go for it.
VIDEO Talk. My recipe video this time around is better. I think you will like it because I talked you through every step.
This is helpful because when I was first experimenting with baked donuts. I had a lot of little questions like how thick to make the batter. So in this video I explain everything and even trouble shoot with you.
Let me know if you like it!
If you are looking for another recipe to try out for Valentines day. Perhaps a little chocolate craving??? I think you might like my Healthy Vegan Chocolate Truffle Recipe!
Or perhaps a Gluten-Free Vegan Peanut Butter and Jelly?
If you make this recipe, it would really help if you left it a star rating. Because I am a new blogger I need all the help I can get with comments, shares and ratings. Thank you in advanced and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!Print
An easy Gluten Free Vegan Baked Strawberry Donut recipe made oil free, sugar free and super healthy for Valentines day or a healthy snack or dessert.
- 2 cups Oat Flour
- 1 cup Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- pinch Nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup (200g) thawed sliced Strawberries
- 1 2/3 cup Non-Dairy Milk (plus more depending on thickness of batter)
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (2 tablespoons ground Flaxseeds + 1/3 cup water)
- 1 cup / 1 (15oz) can coconut milk or coconut cream (chilled in refrigerator for 3 hours of freezer for 1 hour)
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Prepare a 20 cavity regular sized donut pan by lightly spraying 15 cavities with cooking spray.
- Make flax egg by mixing together flaxseeds and water in a small bowl, and allowing to rest for 5 minutes
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend wet ingredients together roughly, leaving chunks of strawberries in-tact.
- Stir wet ingredients into try until fully incorporated
- Add more non-dairy milk if needed (see video to hear my explanation and see proper constancy)
- Transfer batter to either a large measuring vessel with a spout (helps pouring into donut mold), or a gallon plastic bag (which you can cut a small piece of corner off and use it to pipe into donut mold).
- Fill 14-15 donut cavities with the batter, filling them just to the top.
- Smooth the tops off with a spoon, and scrape any batter off the middle circle area to insure you actually get a donut hole!
- Take 1/2 cup of the frozen raspberries and chop them in half (smaller pieces but not too small)
- Press 3-4 pieces of frozen raspberries into each donut
- Bake at 375F for 20 minutes or until the donuts are light golden in color
- While baking, make the frosting by scooping out the cream/top part of the chilled can of coconut milk and discarding the liquid milk/water.
- Transfer just the coconut cream, to a small bowl
- Thaw remaining raspberries and mix with coconut cream to create a bright pink raspberry frosting (optional- see notes for alternate method)
- Place this coconut frosting mix in the freezer for 10 minutes before frosting
- Remove Donuts from oven when finished and allow to fully cool before removing and frosting
- Frost and decorate each donut with coconut frosting, fresh berries and whatever else you want to make them look pretty!
*if you wish to have pure coconut frosting, you can skip the raspberries or simple top the coconut cream frosting with fresh raspberries
* Alternately you can glaze or frost them with any frosting you like!
- Category: Desserts, Healthy Snack
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- Serving Size: 1 Donut
- Calories: 200
Keywords: Gluten free, healthy, vegan, oil free, quick, dairy free, sugar free, refined sugar free, healthy snack, donut, baked donut, vegan donut, strawberry donut, coconut frosting, Valentines Day
Also TAG me @LemonsandLeggings on Instagram if you make this or any of my recipes 🙂