These quick and easy naturally sweetened carrot cake cupcakes are packed with goodness, they are oil-free, gluten free, vegan and have a deliciously creamy sweet orange cashew cream frosting…
Carrot cake is seriously underrated.
It is a bummer that most people think carrot cake is either too healthy or too sweet with its over sweet and fake cream cheese like frosting. I have found by selling my version of carrot cake cupcakes, vegan, gluten free and oil-free; that people quickly become die hard carrot cake lovers.
The thing about carrot cake is that it has really good ingredients that I love, shredded carrot, raisins, almonds, bananas, dates, rolled oats, ginger, cinnamon, the list goes on.
There doesn’t have to be oil in carrot cake!
The purpose of oil in baking is to provide rich moisture BUT this is achieved when using fruit. So my rule of thumb is whenever a recipe is using oil and fruit, it is unnecessary (and actually all oil is unnecessary but I wont go there now – strike through ).
What I have learned is you can replace the oil in a sweet baking recipe with either apple sauce or mashed banana 99.9% of the time and it will turn out better! So that is exactly what I did here, and people LOVE IT.
What makes carrot cake exceptional is a good frosting.
As I write this on this blog, I have yet to post a wide variety of amazingly healthy and decant frosting choices for you. So I will begin with this Orange Cashew Cream Frosting- and hot damn it is a good one.
However make sure you are subscribed to my email newsletter to be notified when I post new healthy & delicious vegan & gluten free recipes! Because here soon I should have a lot of frosting choices that will be oh so good on these carrots cakes!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes can be breakfast, snacks, lunch or dessert if you want (at least this recipe) because they are so healthy!
It makes a great BIRTHDAY CAKE TOO!
Let me talk to you about the ingredients and how to make this recipe come out perfect every time!
Carrots – shred the carrots on a medium to small shred option, this will allow them to cook better and taste better.
Dates are what I use to sweeten this recipe so it is refined sugar free! You can use any type of dates, I use chopped date pieces because I buy them in bulk for my baking business. Medjool dates work great and even smaller more dry dates are good, make sure you pit them and chop them before adding to the blender 🙂
Raisins – if you hate raisins use dried cranberries or another dried fruit, or don’t use them at all.
Almonds or Walnuts – these are my favorite nuts to use in this recipe, just make sure they are chopped or shaved so you don’t get a mouth full.
Coconut and carrot together is a flavor bomb that I love, use unsweetened shaved coconut if you can find it.
If you make this recipe, it would really help if you left it a star rating. Because I am a new blogger I need all the help I can get with comments, shares and ratings. Thank you in advanced and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!Print
Healthy Quick and easy naturally sweetened carrot cake cupcakes packed with goodness, they are oil-free, gluten free, vegan and have a deliciously creamy sweet orange cashew cream frosting.
- 2 cups Oat flour
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup shredded Coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Almonds or Walnuts, sliced/shaved/chopped
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 ripe large Bananas
- 1 cup Dates, pitted & chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 cups shredded Carrot
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together dry ingredients (Oat flour through Sea Salt) in a large mixing bowl
- Blend non-dairy milk, bananas, dates and flaxseeds in a high speed blender until smooth
- Pour blended mixture into the dry mixture bowl
- Mix in the shredded Carrot and Raisins and mix until everything is incorporated and evenly wet.
- Prepare a 9 cavity jumbo muffin pan (or a 12 cavity regular muffin/cupcake can) by lightly spraying with cooking spray
- Scoop carrot cake batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting
- Frost with my healthy Orange Cashew Cream Frosting and enjoy!
Watch the video to see how quick and easy it is!
- Category: Cupcakes, Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake (without frosting)
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Protein: 8.6
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: Carrot cake, carrot cake cupcakes, vegan, gluten free, oil free, cupcakes, healthy, healthy cupcakes, snack, healthy snack, vegan baking, whole food plant based,
Healthy creamy vegan orange cashew cream frosting for cupcakes, breads, cakes and oil free, gluten free baking.
- 1 1/4 cups raw Cashews (soaked in hot water for 1 hour and drained)
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until super creamy and thick.
- Transfer to a Tupperware or plastic piping bag and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Remove from freezer and frost cupcakes, cake or bread!
Try this with my Carrot Cake Cupcakes!
- Category: Dessert, Frosting
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Vegan, Oil Free, American
- Serving Size: 1/9th batch (about 4 tablespoons)
- Calories: 127
- Fat: 7.8
- Carbohydrates: 11.4
- Protein: 3.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Cashew cream, cashew frosting, orange cream cheese frosting, carrot cake frosting, orange vanilla, vegan, gluten free, oil free, cupcakes, healthy, healthy frosting, snack, healthy snack, vegan baking, whole food plant based